Saturday, April 19, 2008

An Official Goodbye to Winter, Which Seriously Hasn't Left Until Now


This beautiful reservoir is a suprise that I found just across a couple of streets from us! I guess that I just never noticed it hiding under so much snow. Imagine me getting a glance of these shimmering waters for the first time when I was just out for a walk among zooming and honking cars and apartment buildings and laundromats.


Goodbye floofy down comforter and scarves both scratchy and smooth. Goodbye to microwaving hot coffee so that it keeps my hands warmer for minutes longer. And to the radiator and its hissing, steamy, steam. Goodbye icy puddles and glittery, sugary snow. And frozen toes and hot cocoa with cool whip and my thick aqua robe. Goodbye hypothermia from walking to CVS in my flip-flops and Sumanth having to pour scalding water on my feet to revive them. Yes, Goodbye to that. See you later snow days from school,wintery dry hands and my Christmas tree pajama pants. Byyyeee red wool coat and the cold, cold walks to the T. See you next year cozy cream mittens and snowflakes and hot lemon tea. . . For now, I am off to say hello to spring in Chinatown in a sundress I bought two months ago when there was still ice on the ground.

4 comments:

doctorbarefoot said...

oh WOW that lake is shivery in its beauty, and i mean the good kind of shivers, not the poor wintry shivers that you so aptly described from so many articulate angles. it was like knowing what winter was without ever having been through a boston winter.

Katie said...

And THAT'S the not so romantic part of northern city life, I suppose... but this is a beautiful spot to have found!

K.L. Juskus said...

Emily, you make me happy about life.

Heather said...

Emily - I love the way you write. Goodbye winter, indeed!